If you are a fan of colourful knitting, you will love the Fair Isle technique.
Fair Isle knitting originates from Scotland. The beautiful colour work method is also known as stranded knitting.
Two or more stands of yarns are carried across the knitting project, and are picked up and swapped over to create beautiful repeat patterns.
Fair Isle is usually worked from a chart, but the instructions are sometimes written as text within a knitting pattern.
If you are new to Fair Isle knitting, you may like to read our article Fair Isle Knitting Tips for Beginners.
Free Fair Isle Knitting Patterns
Whether you are new to Fair Isle knitting, or an experienced yarn crafter, you will definitely enjoy these free Fair Isle knitting patterns. We have searched around the net and think that these patterns are definitely amongst the best free designs out there.
Please note that the knitting patterns are free at the time of writing – this may change in the future.
You may need to sign up to some of the websites to access the free knitting patterns.
- The first free Fair Isle knitting pattern on our list is the Frosted Fair Isle knit hat. This is modern hat design knit in worsted/aran thickness wool. The hat is an intermediate level knit and is made on 4mm circular knitting needles.
- A headband is a great idea for newcomers to Fair Isle knitting. This free pattern can be knit in any colour and looks really fun!
- This Snowman Fair Isle beanie will keep you cosy and is an ideal knitting pattern for anyone looking to make a beautiful gift. A really beautiful free knitting pattern which is is a lovely make.
- This block patterned hat is a wonderful free knitting pattern for beginners to Fair Isle knitting. It would look great knit up in subtle shades as well as in the bright colours shown on the listing.
- Fair Isle and socks are a perfect match, and this free knitting pattern, Faraway Fair Isle, is knit top down. An interesting and stylish project.
- How about this awesome tablet case as a totally different type of Fair Isle knitting pattern? This would make an awesome gift for the special techy person in your life. The Tablet Fair Isle Tech Vest is a great free knitting pattern is from Lion Brand.
- If you prefer a larger knitting project to get your teeth into, how about this stunning Colourful Fair Isle throw? This free knitting pattern will make the most stunning item for a beautiful home. Free knitting pattern from Lion Brand yarn.
- The next knitting pattern on our list of free Fair Isle patterns is the Cliffs of Moher Sweater. This is complex knit for those of you who are experienced knitters. This is a stunning free knitting pattern from Vogue Knitting.
- The Northern Star Fair Isle Cowl knitting pattern is worked in 4 ply yarn. With a beautiful snowflake star design, it is a perfect knit for the autumn or milder winter days.
- If you love a smaller knitting project, the free knitting pattern for these Fair Isle Cloudberry fingerless mittens may be perfect for you. The Fair Isle design on these lovely mittens is worked via a chart.
- If you are looking for a free knitting pattern for a very quick Fair Isle project, the Fairisle Cafetière Cosy may be just the thing for you! This is an ideal project for using up oddments of yarn too!
- We love the Fizzy Fairisle Sweater for Grown Ups knitting pattern. It is a modern take on Fair Isle knitting, knit up in chunky yarn. This awesome free knitting patterns is on the Lovecrafts website.
- An intermediate knit, the next design on our best free Fair Isle knitting pattern list is a lovely pair of mittens. Called Hanne, this is a traditional looking design worked in two colours. These mittens are simply stunning.
- Those of you who love to knit toys will love this cute little owl knitting pattern, Ola Owl. The added Fair Isle detailing makes the cute toy look really modern and vintage all at the same time! This this a perfect Fair Isle knitting pattern for anyone who loves to knit simple toys.
- For a really lovely and fairly simply looking Fair Isle pattern you may be interested in this beautiful chunky cowl. This is a free knitting pattern for a lovely looking garment that will keep you snug all year round.
Thanks for joining us today at The Knitting Times. We hope you have enjoyed this list of free Fair Isle knitting patterns and have found yourself a wonderful new project to knit!